Saturday, March 9, 2019

New Quilt For The Family - Winter Quilt II - Hearthside Holiday


When I saw Hearthside Holiday by Deb Strain for Moda Fabrics I knew I had found the fabric line I have been waiting for to make Christmas stockings for my family - as a family we love the prints and colors . When I discovered it came in a brushed option, I knew I had found the fabric to make a second winter/Christmas quilt for our family. 


Brushed fabric is so soft and makes the cuddliest quilts. It's like flannel only lighter. Our first Christmas/winter quilt is made of brushed cotton fabric. As it has begun to show its use, I have been on the search for the perfect fabric to make another family winter quilt.



We couldn't be happier with how this winter quilt turned out. I settled on a very simple pattern to showcase the fabric pints and colors and, well, just because I really like simple.



My goal was to have this done by Christmas, but that didn't happen. I focused instead on making sure I finished everyone's stocking and name tag. 



The kids were a bit nervous about not using the red and white stockings we have used for years, but once these new mom-made stockings and tags were finished, I was informed that they are SO much better than those old red and white ones : ) 



Yes, after Christmas passed I rehung the stockings and left them up well into January : ) For the stockings I used Hearthside Holiday in regular woven, not brushed. For the body of the stockings I used a heavy cotton fleece that I have had for years not knowing what to use it for. Perfect match!


Using my walking foot I quilted slightly wavy lines about one and half inches apart.


For the backing I used a cotton flannel sheet from JCPenney. I have used these flannel sheets on a couple quilts now and I very pleased with them - soft and non pilling. And you can't beat the price when they are on clearance ; )


Though this quilt didn't actually take a long time from start to finish (November 2018 - February 2019), I'm happy to have it finally done after so many delays and interruptions. Was beginning to think it would not be finished until next winter. As it is, with 3 feet of snow on the ground, we still have plenty of winter left to enjoy this quilt : )


Quilt Stats:
Fabric: Hearthside Holiday by Deb Strain for Moda Fabrics
Batting: Dream Wool
Backing: Flannel sheet from JCPenney
Size: 56 x 71.5" (post wash)


1 comment:

  1. Love your quilt! I have the same fabric in a layer cake. If I cut each ten inch square in half I should be able to replicate your quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from visitors: